22 March 2009

Things That Need to Die: Bring It On Sequels



About ten years ago, I went to Target and bought Bring It On on VHS. My friends and I would recite the cheers in the middle of sixth grade English class. It was cute and funny and I still watch it from time to time.

Now, ten years later, they're still churning out straight to DVD sequels and each one seems to get progressively worse than the last. It's already bad enough E! fills up their empty time slots with Bring It On: All or Nothing, which has got to be one of the most apologetically racist movies that I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. And I've been avoiding the fourth sequel, Bring It On: In It to Win It, like the plague ever since I read about the movie's allusions to West Side Story. (Jets vs. Sharks? Seriously?)

And now there's a fifth -- Bring It On: Fight to the Finish.


"I don't speak Taco Bell menu." Still relying on racial jokes I see. You stay classy, Hollywood.

-M

No comments: